Syria and Russia say ISIS is dead, now U.S. must go

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 02:41:32 AM. Days after Syria and its allies declared victory over ISIS, Defense Secretary James Mattis said the U.S. military wasn't going anywhere just yet.
Share World Syria Syrian war Syrian army Russian military Iran Bashar al-Assad U.S. Military CIA Pentagon Syrian Rebels ISIS Al-Qaeda James Mattis Donald Trump Putin Islamic State Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdoğan The Syrian Foreign Ministry issued a firm warning to the U.S. and other foreign forces in Syria Tuesday without the approval of President Bashar al-Assad, telling them their presence was a violation of international law and accusing them of making matters worse for the war-torn country that days ago declared victory against the Islamic State militant group (ISIS). The ministry issued the statement in direct response to remarks by Defense Secretary James Mattis, who suggested a day earlier that U.S. forces would not be leaving anytime soon. Unlike allies Russia and Iran, which intervened against Syrian insurgents and jihadis at the request of Assad, the U.S. entered the conflict without the Syrian leader's permission and has called for his removal. With ISIS effectively defeated, the ministry urged Washington and its allies to exit immediately. Related: Russian military could force the U.S. out of Syria, army official says Keep up with this story and more by subscribing now "The presence of U.S. forces or any foreign military presence in Syria without the consent of the Syrian government constitutes an act of aggression and an attack on the sovereignty of the Syrian Arab Republic as well as a gross violation of the charter and principles of the United Nations," the...Read more
Share this

You might also like

Similar